DISCLOSURE: This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. As always, all opinions are mine alone. #BakeInTheFun #CollectiveBias
Fall in the South means football. Having grown up in Texas, I learned about the sport at an early age. So did my friends. That stereotype that women don't like football doesn't really refer to Texas women. My friends and I participate in a fantasy football league. When we go to the beach for a girls trip, yes, we lay out, but we also toss around the pigskin. It's just the way we grew up.
Good thing I married a sports fan. NewsyDad is a Cornhusker. Since that's the only sports team in Nebraska, the whole state rallies behind the Big Red. When I worked there, I knew people who would schedule their weddings on a by-week. If you needed to go to the grocery store, you'd go during a game because there was no one out. Literally. Streets and stores were empty.
Every Fall, we get game ready. This year, I was inspired to create a game day tablescape complete with a football shaped cake made with new flavored chocolate candies which definitely remind me of Fall - they're M&M's® Pecan Pie! Later in this post, we'll share contest details on how to win a KitchenAid Mixer to make these game day goodies!
GAME DAY TABLESCAPE
- Football Field. I thought it would be fun to turn our kitchen table into a football field. It's so easy and simple. I purchased the astroturf or fake grass from the home improvement store. Just remember to measure your table before going in there. They sell the material by the square foot. Then, I used white duct tape to mark the yard lines and end zones.
- Goal Posts. What's a football field without goal posts? Those were pretty easy to create as well. I used colored popsicle sticks, but you can use plain ones and then color them yellow and green. Then, I stuck the end of the stick into a half-sphere shaped styrofoam which I colored with a green marker to try to match the turf. Add some fall-colored leaves, sprinkle M&M's® Pecan Pie flavored candies and your tablescape is set! Looks cute and festive, right?
Football shaped cake
- Cake. I used a football shaped pan and followed the recipe on the box of the Pillsbury™ Moist Supreme Dark Chocolate Premium Cake Mix.
- Cake mix
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup oil
- 3 eggs
- Set oven to 350 degrees. Coat bottom of pan with non-stick spray.
- Combine cake mix, water, oil & eggs in large bowl. Mix until moistened. Beat with mixer on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Place M&M's® Pecan Pie flavored candies into a plastic bag and smash them. Fold them into the batter.
- Pour batter into pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes.
- Take out of oven and cool on cooling grid for 10 minutes.
- Gently loosen sides with spatula. Place cooling grid against cake and turn both over. Lift pan off carefully and cook cake.
- Frosting. I used mixture of chocolate pudding topped with cream cheese frosting. The combination is delicious!
- Chocolate Pudding:
- 1 box of instant chocolate pudding
- 8 ounces of whipped cream
- 2 tablespoons of milk
- In a medium bowl, make the pudding according to the recipe on the box.
- Add 2 tablespoons of milk.
- Fold the whipped cream into the pudding.
- Place in the refrigerator for about five minutes to thicken.
- Frost the cake with the pudding.
- Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 4 ounces unsalted butter, softened
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter and cream cheese with an electric mixer.
- On low speed, add the powdered sugar one cup at a time until creamy and smooth.
- Beat in the vanilla extract.
- Spoon into a pastry bag and use a pastry tip to pipe on the lines of the football.
- Top with M&M's® Pecan Pie flavored candies.
- Chocolate Pudding:
We like to enjoy this tasty treat with our favorite Motts® Apple Juice for the girls and Snapple® Apple for us.
If you'd like to make this, all the ingredients are available in one place - Walmart!