DISCLOSURE: We were provided a complimentary air fryer in exchange for sharing our experience with the product. No compensation was provided. All opinions expressed are our own.
Growing up, I would devour these yummy "baby egg rolls" my mom would make. They're not really named baby egg rolls, but that's what my sister and I called them. The proper name known to Filipinos is Lumpia Shanghai. They are delicious little egg rolls filled with meat and veggies. Usually deep fried. But now, I've found a healthy and less messy way to cook them with the Avalon Bay Air Fryer model AB-Airfryer 200SS.
Instead of filling a skillet with oil or using a deep fryer, I just stick them in the air fryer. Press a few buttons on the digital display. Wait 10 minutes. They come out crispy on the outside with the meat and vegetables well cooked on the inside. You can even see the fat and oil collected in the basket. Makes me feel better about eating 20 in one sitting. They're really that addictive, especially once you start dipping them in the sweet chili sauce found in the Asian section of the grocery store.
LUMPIA SHANGHAI RECIPE:
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 1/2 lbs small shrimp, peeled, de-veined and minced (optional)
- 1 cup green onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup yellow onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup carrots, shredded
- 1 can (8 ounces) water chestnuts, finely chopped (optional for texture)
- 8 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 package (50-count) spring roll wrappers
- In a large bowl, combine ground beef, ground pork, shrimp, green onions, yellow onions, carrots, water chestnuts, garlic, soy sauce, sesame oil, salt and pepper. Mix together by hand.
- Separate wrappers into individual sheets. Cover with a dish cloth to prevent from drying out.
- Lay one wrapper on a flat working surface. Spoon about 1 tablespoon of the meat mixture on the edge of the side closest to you. Spread the mixture across the horizontal length of the wrapper. Pull the side with the filling over and roll tightly into a log, leaving about 1/4-inch of the wrapper. Lightly dab water on the remaining 1/4-inch and complete rolling to seal it.
- Repeat with remaining wrappers.
- Place in air fryer. Cook at 390° for 10 minutes. Halfway through shake the basket to turn the egg rolls over for an even cook.
- Using tongs, remove egg rolls from basket. Serve with sweet chili sauce.
Now that you know the recipe and have an idea of how the air fryer works, let's see it in action. Click on the video below.
TOP 3 THINGS WE LIKE ABOUT THE AVALON BAY AB-AIRFRYER 200SS
- It's easy to use. The machine has preset cooking times if you plan to make french fries, chicken, steak and even cakes. You can download their cookbook here.
- It's quick. Instead of baking frozen chicken nuggets in the oven for 30 minutes, they will cook in the air fryer for 6-10 minutes. Talk about saving on cooking time!
- It's easy to clean. No more greasy mess in the skillet. No more oily mess in the deep fryer. The basket comes out of the machine easy and you can watch it with soap and water.
What would you cook in an air fryer?